The department has a number of active research seminars.
Mathematics research in the department generally falls into one of these areas:
- The Topology group has a wide variety of interests, with an emphasis on the topology of 3-dimensional manifolds. Areas of specialty include hyperbolic 3-manifolds, knot theory, and foliations.
- The Algebra group includes people with interests in group theory, representation theory, ring theory, and finite dimensional algebras.
- Among our Analysis group are people interested in wavelets, Banach spaces, analytic functions, Lie group representations, and analysis on symmetric spaces.
- Differential Geometry
- The Differential Geometry group is interested in: hyperbolic and Lorentzian geometry, rank one Lie Groups, and relativity.
Computer Science Research
The Computer Science group is interested in algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, visual perception, media processing, embedded systems, computational geometry/topology, computational linguistics and technical systems control.
Hosted by the SLU Department of Mathematics and Computer Science:
- 2008: The Clavius Group
- Collaboration in mathematical research.
- 2007: The Zassenhaus Conference
- Group theory.